Thursday, February 21, 2013

Skullcrack - Aggressive Behavior


Welcome back (well hopefully) and welcome all you glorious new readers! I really want this column to be weekly, published on Fridays, but with my current schedule that may prove to be difficult at times. Please don't worry loyal reader! When I miss a week, I will write even more for the following week.



Topics: Standard, Legacy, and Ramblings


RAMBLINGS


So, I went the SCG Open last weekend. Needless to say, it was an exercise in futility as I made some of the cardinal mistakes I preach against. "But," you may ask, "how did you make those mistakes if you are aware of them?" A fantastic question, and I am glad you asked. I find the better a player runs, the more prolific the crash that is awaiting them. I had been doing well at my local events and with my success came the pride before the fall. I was happy with my deck choice and I was dead set on playing it, but then I lost the last game of my last tournament before the SCG Cincinnati Open and all of sudden I let doubt and fear creep into my mind.

After that, it was just a matter of time until I started over-analyzing everything. Mistake. I am just good enough to be a danger to myself. So, here I am over-analyzing my deck choice, when I decide I need to jump ship and play a different deck. Mistake. See, I feel like I am good enough to pick-up a deck at random and perform at a high level with it. Mistake. Instead of sticking with the deck I have tweaked, have developed the perfect board for, and have countless hours of play testing with, I pick-up the random U/W/R flash deck at the last moment and say "Eureka!" I have my deck. Mistake.

Ok, it wasn't a worthless trip. It was actually just a really expensive reinforcing of the basics that I should know by now. It turned out be a lesson I had to re-learn because I thought I was skilled enough to break one of my own cardinal rules. Sometimes you can be just good enough to do yourself more harm than good. So for all the readers at home, here is the tl;dr - it is better to know your deck inside and out, than to last minute audible.

Also, if you, loyal reader, happen to be a fan of fantasy books, then I have a recommendation for you, "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. A fantastic book that took me a couple of chapters to really get hooked on, but once it was set, that was that.

How about music? If you love music, my suggestion for the week is AWOLNATION, "Megalithic Symphony." A very eclectic album that is an interesting mix of rock, electric, and soul. The album really has some catchy music and one of my favorite songs of recent memory, "Kill Your Heroes."


STANDARD


As I am sure it has become clear, I am quite the standard junkie. It is probably due to the limited amount of time I actually get to play, and as standard is the clear favorite of the masses, being standard prepared means I am ready to play at a moments notice, which can be important with a hectic schedule.

When I saw Boros Reckoner, I nearly flipped my lid, that card is crazy! I was like, "Yes, the three drop I have been dreaming of, and what is this, Skullcrack, did they really just give me both of the cards I had been wanting for RDW." Leading up to the Gatecrash release, my local populace can attest to the amount of RDW I played, and I got real comfortable with the feel of the deck. So naturally, I decided to go ahead and revamp my RDW for post-Gatecrash standard. But then I saw this beauty, Saito knows how to build an aggro deck.

After modifying it ever so slightly, I took it to my local shop, CM Games, for some testing. CM Games offers a free standard tourney on Monday that gives out $100 dollars in store credit. With a little bit of money on the line, plenty of local players show-up sporting tournament caliber decks for a chance to get in on the loot. There are some less than up-to-snuff decks that show-up also, but overall a good place to get your "game on." Needless to say, I finished 4th losing in the last round to 5 color control packing all the main deck goodies for beating up on red players. I took it to 3 games, but the hate, bad sideboarding, and bad mulliganing (and the force) made it really hard to do much in the way of winning. I am, however, very glad I got to play that match-up. I learned a ton about what works and what doesn't. I also got a good education on which cards were bad for me and which ones I could ignore. A greatest hits list of bad cards for your average RDW player:

Blind Obedience
Terminus (miracles of course on turns 2-3)
Rhox Faithmender
Centaur Healer
Cathedral Sanctifier
Thragtusk
But most of all, everyone of them in the same deck :(

Enough of my belly aching, let's get to the updated list:

RDWs
Suggested by Matthew Norton

Creature (31)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
2 Stonewright
2 Gore-house Chainwalker
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Burning Tree Emissary
1 Pyreheart Wolf
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Hellrider

Spells (11):
2 Skullcrack
2 Pillar of Flame
2 Volcanic Strength
4 Searing Spear
1 Thunderous Wrath

Land (18):
18 Mountains

One of the other lessons I have learned, I play a deck before I tweak it at all. I have learned that most deck lists have a fair amount of time and energy already invested in them.


LEGACY


I, of course, played in the SCG Open in Cincinnati while I was there. I played Reanimator, and despite my 2-2 drop performance, I was very pleased with the deck. I am sure my inexperience plus poor play was largely the reason for my quick exit from the event. I felt like I could have easily been 4-0, but that I carried over my bad mojo from the day before and continued playing poorly. I was feeling under the weather the whole trip, but that is just an excuse at best.

I honestly feel that when it comes to disruption, as much as it pains me to say, that the little situational counters are the optimal choice. I was sorely disappointed with Thoughtseize the whole day and continually wished it was daze or spell pierce. The deck list for reference sake:

Reanimator
suggested by Matthew Norton

Creatures (7):
3x Griselbrand
1x Jin-Gitaxais, Core Augur
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Tidespout Tyrant
1x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Lands (16):
4x Underground Sea
4x Polluted Delta
1x Swamp
2x Islands
3x Misty Rainforest
1x Marsh Flats
1x Verdant Catacombs

Spells (37):
4x Force of Will
4x Reanimate
3x Exhume
2x Animate Dead
4x Lotus Petal
2x Show and Tell
2x Thoughtseize
4x Careful Study
4x Ponder
4x Brainstorm
4x Entomb

Sideboard (15):
2x City of Traitors
2x Karakas
2x Flusterstorm
1x Coffin Purge
2x Pithing Needle
1x Blazing Archon
1x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
2x Show and Tell
2x Thoughtseize

Thanks again for reading! See you next week!

Matthew Norton
@Magog29 on twitter

0 comments: