Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Thirst for Knowledge - Checkmate


My younger years, before there was such a game as Magic, were spent playing video games & chess.  Most of the video games that I enjoyed were puzzle games like Tetris, Minesweeper, and Mahjong.  Chess was my 1-on-1 competitive outlet in those days:
  1. e4 e5
  2. Qh5?! Nc6
  3. Bc4 Nf6??
  4. Qxf7# 1–0
Games of chess don't often end so quickly.  So, why do I bring up these in an article about Magic?  Patience my young padawan...

I wasn't exposed to Magic until my freshman year of college in 1996.  Once I learned to play, I found out just how deep and intellectual the game was.  With chess (and most other puzzle games that I had played), there were a finite number of moves that you could make.  Magic has what seems like an infinite number of combinations in deck design and play variance across multiple formats.

Magic had replaced Chess (and most of the puzzle games) as my intellectual and competitive outlets but I brought over several lessons from those games to Magic.

Thinking Ahead

Chess and Tetris both taught me to think ahead.  With Tetris, you could only think about a piece ahead until more advanced versions gave you a way to see more pieces.  With Chess, you had to think so many moves ahead.  This tested your mettle to make sure you didn't miss anything.

With Magic, depending on the format, thinking ahead can be more difficult.  You have to plan out your turn with every card you see (both yours and your opponents).  There are a certain number of possible answers depending on what deck your opponent is playing.  

Think about this scenario  Your playing Modern and your opponent has 4 mana up and they all produce white or blue.  Is he holding back a Restoration Angel?  Is he holding Cryptic Command instead?  Is it Snapcaster Mage + one of the 2 mana instants in his graveyard?  Is he holding a Vendilion Clique?  Is he bluffing?  

And this is just the thoughts that happen during a single turn on one side of the table!

Inside Information: Do you know why most pros would rather play control strategies especially at professional events?  It isn't easy playing a control deck but it is even harder for your opponent.  Playing control decks makes the decision tree much harder for an opponent because of the number of possible combinations he or she could be playing.

Time Management

Ah yes, the clock.  Whether it is the speed of the pieces falling in Tetris or the seconds ticking away on the Chess timer, time is your enemy.

Fun Fact: Magic Online adapted the timer system from professional Chess.

So what did other games teach me that I took over to Magic?  I learned how to think and make good decisions with that clock ticking down.  Do you thrive under pressure?  How is your decision tree when you are trying to win a game 3 with minutes on the clock and Top 8 on the line?

Sacrifices Need To Be Made

Playing Tetris there are times when pieces just don't fit right.  Sometimes you have to sacrifice pieces to keep the game going.  To win a game of chess, you have to sacrifice certain pieces to achieve your goal of putting the King in checkmate.  Sometimes that even means sacrificing your best piece, the Queen.

In Magic, most decision that you make involve making sacrifices.  Do I sacrifice this hand and take a mulligan or do I risk it vs. an unknown opponent?  Do I sacrifice this removal spell now while I'm under early pressure or do I hold it for his bomb (that may never come)?  Should I sacrifice this creature now by chump blocking with it (or trading it off) now?

Board Control

Board Control is an important advanced level concept in chess.  Understanding how to lock certain pieces out of interacting with the board without losing key pieces of their game is a concept that separates novice players from expert players.

In Magic, board control is a very important concept as well and one I translated over from chess.  Most of the time it is much easier to determine board position in Magic.

Checkmate

The endgame of chess.  This is where you want to be, putting your opponent in checkmate.

Magic's endgame is sometimes harder to see and to process since all the pieces are not always on the table.  Don't let that stop you.

Takeaway: Take your skills that you have learned from playing other games and put those to use to make you a better Magic player.

Bradley Reeves
@YawgmothsWill
Infecting Magic One Grinder At A Time

0 comments: