Thursday, March 7, 2013

Skullcrack - Feed your brain...



A bag of goodies to talk about today, and as promised, a larger portion for your reading pleasure. Highlights for this week's article include: Standard decklists galore, Ramblings, Tips on improving, and more...




Welcome bag fellow Phyrexians and newly infected materials! Going to start this weeks post with my favorite portion, the Ramblings sections...


Ramblings


As my previous retirement moves farther into my past, I have to question why I am not back to the level of play that I once was proud of...

...

Digging back through the memory banks, please hold.

...
...
...
...
...
</>0000000error00000<l>>><[[[][]]error
...
...

Well, that proved something. I am getting old and the memory is not what it use to be. I have to ask, have you folks seen the commercial for the webpage about training your brain, yeah I can't remember the name of it, but I am sure it is useful.

Ah, I remember now. I use to practice magic everyday and read every article, book, and webpage I could find. I use to devote time and effort to magic, but since the return, I haven't put anywhere near the time into the game that I once did, and it shows in my results, or lack there of...

But I really have no excuse, there are a plethora of ways to get information and test now. Starcity Games, ChannelFireball, and many more (I could have included a shameless plug, but...if your reading this article then you know we exist).

So, I am sick and tired of being a baddie am I? What am I going to do about it? First, I have invested in MTGO. You can play at anytime and whenever you want. For a busy schedule, there is nothing better. Also, I have started investing at least an hour a day in reading articles and gathering information. Now, here is the part where I lose people, I am keeping a journal of "gems of wisdom" that I come across. Things that I feel are worth re-reading. I use an app called memento, so regardless of where I come across the information, I have my journal handy. Lastly, I am going back to the basics. Starting from scratch. I need to make sure my fundamentals are sound and that I am cutting the play mistakes from my game. I believe there is an article around here somewhere....Creating a Fearless Magical Inventory!

Alright, now if you have been around the game for any length of time, then this is probably nothing new for you, but if your new this is one of those article I keep in my journal (well, at least the link).
Next point, if you have read the article and haven't actually done one, then you are missing the point of the article. There is a lot of power and catharsis in writing something down, but the real kicker, the real point of the article is to make it known, forcing you to confront your fears, your failings.

Proof that I am not all talk, here is my list:

1. I get frustrated to easily, by what I consider luck.
2. Mulliganing, I am terrible at it and an area of major concern.
3. The Audible, I like to changes things at the last moment based on my gut opinion of a metagame.
4. Considering what is my opponents outs.
5. Tapping my mana poorly.
6. Playing my land before I attack.
7. Taking the appropriate amount of time to make a decision.
8. Actually learning my deck, and making changes based off of play testing and not what cards I think are cool.
9. Letting pet cards dictate my deck choices.
10. Doing better combat math.

This is just the start of my list (plenty more things to improve, I assure you), and I plan on adding things and taking things away as I realize they are problems or have improved. I personally suggest if you are truly interested in improving your play to do likewise. I plan on posting my list from time to time just to keep it fresh in my mind and force my self to face the facts.

Standard


Let's get this show on the road. I have been playing a ton of MTGO and I recently attended the Louisville Classic where I went 3-2. I lost both jund mirrors. Needless to say I was not happy with my performance, and I really have no one to blame but myself. So I put my nose to the grindstone, and got to work.


Mono-Red:

4x Stromkirk Noble
4x Rakdos Cakler
2x Stonewright
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Lightning Mauler
3x Firefist Striker
4x Ash Zealot
4x Boros Reckoner
Creatures (29)

4x Pillar
4x Searing Spear
2x Skullcrack
2x Volcanic Strength
1x Thunderous Wrath
Spells (13)

18 Mountains
Lands (18)

Sideboard:
2x Volcanic Strength
3x Madcap Skills
2x Muggings
2x Thunderbolt
1x Flames of the Firebrand
2x Skullcrack
3x Traitorous Instinct

This deck is like playing with a can of gasoline and a lit match. This thing can go boom quite easily and plays very well against the large majority of the field. Of course, Reckoner can be bad, but so can lots of things. Just play tight and mulligan appropriately and this deck feels real good. Remember, you want to win as fast as possible (my Maddonism for the day), but against life gain decks once your up to the four Skullcracks you have plenty of time, just don't waste them and you will go far.


Jund

4x Huntmaster of the Fells
4x Thragtusk
3x Olivia Voldaren
2x Arbor Elf
Creatures (13)

2x Dreadbore
3x Bonfire of the Damned
1x Murder
1x Mizzium Mortars
4x Farseek
2x Tragic Slip
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Rakdos's Return
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter
2x Liliana of the Veil
1x Underworld Connection
Spells (22)

4x Stomping Grounds
4x Blood Crypt
4x Overgrown Tomb
3x Dragonskull Summit
2x Forest
2x Rootbound Crag
4x Woodland Cemetery
2x Kessig Wolf Run
Lands (25)

Sideboard:
2x Underworld Connections
2x Rakdos's Return
2x Grafdigger's Cage
1x Ground Seal
2x Pillar of Flame
2x Tragic Slip
1x Bonfire of the Damned
1x Staff of Nin
1x Bramblecrush
1x Olivia Voldaren 

Jund, you know it and the list, well, except for a couple of tweaks. After losing both mirror matches with this deck. I decided to up the percentage points for the mirror. You can see the main deck underworld connections and the extra return main deck. After boarding, I get access to four Returns, 3 Connections, and all the other goodies. Last but not least, I moved to Bramblecrush over Acidic Slime after having a game where the Bramblecrush would have killed a Garruk and given me a shot to get into the game. And last, but not least, BUG Midrange, a'la the Jeremy Special:


BUG Midrange

3x Snapcaster Mage
4x Thragtusk
3x Yeva, Nature's Herald
2x Prime Speaker Zegana
1x Evil Twin
1x Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Creatures (14)

2x Murder
3x Abrupt Decay
3x Tragic Slip
3x Dimir Charm
2x Simic Charm
1x Golgari Charm
2x Dissipate
2x Forbidden Alchemy
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter
Spells (20)

4x Breeding Pool
4x Watery Grave
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Hinterland Harbor
4x Woodland Cemetery
1x Alchemist's Refuge
1x Cavern of Souls
Lands (26)

Sideboard:
1x Abrupt Decay
1x Memory's Journey
1x Psychic Spiral
3x Negate
1x Evil Twin
1x Golgari Charm
3x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Tormod's Crypt
2x Liliana of the Veil

Well, I did modify it some. Most of you probably remember his now famous rant of why Dimir Charm is bad, I personally think he is wrong, and have found greater success with the deck after adding them back and dropping the Thought Scours. Now this deck, we have a love and hate relationship. I usually end up having problems drawing the fifth land for some reason. Oh, but when it is humming, man is it fun! I am 11-4 in games and 6-1 in matches with it over the course of the day. Naya midrange is the deck that beat me. The two trouble cards: Bonfire and Resto Angel, both of which I feel are answerable by this deck. Also, I suspect that Kessig wolf run is a major thorn in my side also, as it turns every creature into a threat. Things I am considering for this deck include: Farseek, adding red, and tuning some of the main deck numbers some more (Also maybe ghost quart??? Sigh, not a fan of that card). This thing is beastly against Esper Control.

Alright, three standard decks, some ramblings, and some tips! You people got your money's worth (well, you would have if we charged, lol)! If there is something you want me to cover, thoughts on how I could improve this segment, or just want to chat, have at it!

Matthew Norton
Twitter: @Magog29
MTGO: Magog29

May all your draws be favorable and your opponents ever mana-screwed! (Unless you playing me)

0 comments: