Monday, September 30, 2013

Final Judgment - Commander Review of Theros



Theros has lots of goodies for us EDHers. So, let’s take a look!


White


Chained to the Rocks- A decent removal spell, but in EDH land destruction is common so not always reliable.

Elspeth, Sun’s Champion- Excellent endgame card for both token decks and control decks.

Gift of Immortality- This card has fun written all over it.

God’s Willing- Great way to protect your guys and you get to Scry: sign me up.

Heliod, God of the Sun- See Eslpeth.

Hundred-Handed One- Another great flavorful card which can buy you some time against most decks.

Spear of Heliod- Great for aggro decks and reusable removal. That is the definition of value!

Phalanx Leader- Two words: Aggro/Tokens. That is all.


Blue


Bident of Thassa- Value! Great for aggro decks and Edric’s favorite weapon to wield!

Curse of the Swine- Do you smell bacon? No? Well you are about to. I can’t wait to say this to an opponent right before I turn their guys into piggies.

Prognostic Sphinx- A hard to kill flyer with a big rear and a discard outlet for some decks. Seems good.

Shipbreaker Kraken- I just have a thing for large nautical monsters. (I collect Colossal Whales) This guy is a pretty decent one and monstrosity just seems like it was made for us EDH lovers.

Swan Song- OMG…This card is insane!

Thassa, God of the Sea- Great for Aggro decks and the Scry every turn isn’t bad either. Oh and she could possibly be a 5/5 unblockable creature, that’s indestructible. Moving on.





Black


Erebos, God of the Dead- This is the reason one of my closet Magic friends is going to start playing EDH. The night this card was spoiled he looked at me and said. “That is gonna be my Commander.” I asked, “You are gonna build an EDH deck?” “I am now.” I cannot argue with this logic. (Editor's Note: The friend in question is me: Eddie)

Hero’s Downfall- Black has had a little trouble dealing with planeswalkers. Not anymore. Thanks WOTC!

Hythonia, the Cruel- A wrath effect that is easily reused and abused. Yes Please!

Gray Merchant of Asphodel- Might be okay in a monoblack deck.

Rescue from the Underworld- The most flavorful card in Theros goes to this guy. Sweet card!

Whip of Erebos- Anytime I activate this in the near future is going to involve me “whipping” out my iPod and cranking up some Devo. Good times are ahead.


Red


Ember Swallower- Another great “monster” of a card. I also like blowing up lands.

Purphoros, God of the Forge- Great for a token/agro deck.

Stormbreath Dragon- Okay dragon is okay. This guy is going into my Zirilan of the Claw deck ASAP.


Green


Fade into Antiquity- I only mention this card because of one word: exile. Take that, Gods!

Nylea, God of the Hunt- She gives your dudes trample and can pump them.

Polukranos, World Eater- HAUMPH!

Sylvan Carytid- Mana Wall is okay in the right deck.

Time to Feed- I love that WOTC has been giving green the only thing they didn’t have before. Ways to deal with creatures. Why play any other color anymore?

Vulpine Goliath- What does the Vulpine say? (Editor's Note: a ring-ding-ding-ding-ding!)


Multicolored


Ashen Rider- Angel of Despair’s Evil Stepmother is pretty cool.

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver- Narrow, but could find a home.

Daxos of Meletis- I like this guy as a Voltron commander.

Destructive Revelry- Nice removal spell.

Fleecemane Lion- Hello Kitty! This guy is almost impossible to deal with once it goes big. Hope you kill it before that happens.

Medomai the Ageless- Who likes taking extra turns? This guy!

Phraika’s Mender- A recurrable card advantage engine enabler.

Psychic Intrusion- I love using people’s stuff against them. They can’t complain, they brought it upon themselves.

Prophet of Kruphix- Comparable to Seedborn Muse and strictly better in some decks.

Spellheart Chimera- Decent in the right deck.

Triad of the Fates- Fun card that needs support to make it great.

Underworld Cerebus- This guy is gonna cause all kinds of shenanigans.

Xenagos, the Reveler- In R/G ramp decks you could do worse.


Artifacts/Lands


Akroan Horse- Fun Card is fun, and if you have a way to abuse the extra tokens then that is just icing on the cake!

Colossus of Akros- I prordered a foil as fast as I could. This guy is gonna be an all-star in Omnath.

Fleetfeather Sandals- I am gonna give this card a chance because it looks sweet.

Scry Lands- Great in EDH because it is typically slower, so the coming into played tapped clause isn’t that detrimental.

Until Next Time!

Jonathan Holland
Jonathandholland21 at gmail dot com
@urzaru

0 comments: