Friday, August 30, 2013

Ideas Unbound - Focus



Magic is a game bigger than itself. To play this game at the highest tiers requires commitment. There are several things you have to focus on, from the intricate decision trees that exist in each game and figuring out the right decisions, to the study and focus required to solve metagames and make deck building choices. If you have dreams of one day playing on the Pro Tour, like I do, then you have to be willing to put in the time to achieve the results you desire. I have not been doing this.



To put it simply, I have been lazy. I can make all kinds of excuses about how I’ve been too busy with work, or changes going on in my life right now, but that’s all they are: excuses. As I have said in the past, Magic is my one true passion in life. It’s time for me to start remembering this. It’s time I put the focus into this game necessary for me to achieve my goals. This is especially important because I have two major Magic tournaments in October (SCG Invitational in Indianapolis, and Grand Prix Louisville) and I would like to do well in both of them.

I have a little less than two months before these two events, so I need to start now. I should have started awhile back, but hindsight is 20/20. I know from previous experience what happens when you don’t prepare for events. I had a disastrous performance at a Modern PTQ earlier this year that taught me that lesson the hard way (link). What follows is a list of ways I will be improving my preparation to avoid that situation again. While this is what I am doing specifically, I encourage you to use it as a guide in your own preparations as well.

Information


At its core, Magic is a game about information. I wrote about this a few weeks ago (link), but it goes deeper than just in-game information. The internet is chock full of writings and videos by other players better than myself. I would be foolish not to use this information to my advantage.

However, information overload can happen. There are many websites out there with strategy articles. Trying to take all of it in could be detrimental. Too much information and your brain can’t process it all. For this reason, I am limiting myself to only two websites: ChannelFireball and StarCityGames. However, I also follow several professional Magic players on Twitter as well, so if one of them references a really good article on another site, I am more than willing to read that as well. But outside of that, I’m sticking to the two above.

Speaking of Twitter, you can actually gain quite a bit of information just from following Magic players. Several times, I have seen public conversations on Twitter between various Magic pros discussing cards or strategies. You can learn much just by listening in on their thought processes and debates. If you have access to Twitter and want to play Magic competitively I strongly recommend adding professional Magic players to your Twitter list.

Playtesting


This has always been one of my biggest shortcomings when it comes to preparation. I do not playtest nearly enough. It is important to play games because that is the only way to learn the important interactions for yourself. You can discuss strategies and plays all you want, but it is not as useful as actually experiencing them yourself.

It’s also important to make sure you are playtesting correctly. You have to make sure you are testing your deck against a variety of different decks. You also have to make sure you are playing against a variety of players, too. Just because one of your friends plays Jund in a specific manner doesn’t mean everyone will play it that way. To get the most information possible, you should be playing against a variety of players as well as decks.

You also need to make sure you listen to what your playtesting is telling you. Playing games doesn’t mean anything if you are not gaining information. See which cards and strategies are working and see which aren’t. Keep notes so you can reference them later when the information is no longer fresh in your mind. There are several articles out there by various Magic players about the importance of playtesting and doing it correctly.

I am lucky to have a large group of good Magic players around me. I need to make sure I am using this to its fullest advantage and play as many games as possible. Unfortunately both of these events involve Standard formats after Theros comes out, so I can’t really start playtesting actual decks in earnest right now, but it’s still important to play games. Every game is an opportunity to learn something about Magic as a whole and not just a specific deck or card.

To this extent, I’m also going to start focusing more on Magic Online. Up until now, I have spent most of my card resources on my Cube and acquiring cards for it. I’m perfectly happy with this decision because I love my Cube and the value I’ve put into it. However, I think it’s time I take a break from that and start acquiring cards on Magic Online. Magic Online gives me the ability to test at all hours of the day and even play in actual tournament environments. I do have a little stuff on Magic Online but I’m now going to put a lot more focus on it. I’m hoping it will also help me generate content for the Arena as well.

Fitness


This is something that I have only recently decided to focus on, though I should have been focusing on it the whole time. Magic is a mentally tough game and it requires you to be in top mental condition. However, there is a correlation between physical and mental fitness. I have never really been in great shape physically, but it is time I change this.

I will be working on improving my physical fitness over the next few weeks and months. I’m not sure yet what all this will entail, but I know that it is important. The brain operates better when it is being supplied by a healthy body. Also, a healthy body is important for surviving the long drawn-out slugfests that Magic tournaments can be. It doesn’t matter if you have the best deck if you are falling asleep halfway through the tournament.

Wrap Up


I know a lot of this is specific to me and my preparations for upcoming tournaments, but I think there is a lot to gain for others as well here. You may not follow the same steps I do, but it is important that you have a plan for preparation. Make sure you stick to your plan as well. Remember: Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!

Eddie Walker
@praethus – Twitter
praethus - MTGO

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once more, with feeling! I think it is funny that we were thinking about the same topic Eddie. Anywho, I am taking it and not giving it back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I read your newest article. Hopefully this site will more than just a series of Ideas Unbound again. ;)

    ReplyDelete